Warmley is located approximately 5 miles to the east of Bristol,on Via Augustus (London Road), one of the two Roman roads which linked Caer Badon (Bristol) and Aqua Solis (Bath).
The social club is situated near the old Warmley Railway Station, on Deanery Road which is named after the chief mechanical engineer for GWR (Great Western Railway) William Deanery, who was based in Swindon between 1877 and 1902.
In 1947 the Warmley War Memorial Hall and Community Centre was opened to commemorate those who lost their lives in the Second World War.
The club stands on the site that was originally the Warmley Swimming baths which opened around 1910, which were open air facilities which could hold 400 people but a heatwave may only have attracted about 100 bathers. Attempts to heat the water in a boiler house were not very successful and extremely costly. The "freezing" cold waters were only for the brave hearted and were often compared to the Arctic regions.The opening of Soundwell Swimming Baths in Sept 1961 caused the baths at Warmley to close and a few years later they were filled in and the current club stands in its place.
The Social Club was officially opened in the Jubilee year of 1977, hence the name of the main Lounge.
Around the Millennium the extension of the A4174 "Bristol" ring road saw the reduction of the size of the Car park and loss of a grass playing field when Deanery and Baden Roads were effectively cut into two.
For more information on Warmley and the surrounding areas visit http://www.radisol.co.uk/districtweb/main-site/index.htm
(MORE PICTURES OF THE MODEL CAN BE SEEN ON THE Gallery PAGE)
THE MODEL SHOWS HOW THE SWIMMING POOL LOOKED DURING ITS 50 YEAR LIFESPAN.